Author Topic: STREAMING TO WATCH LIST  (Read 439 times)

Offline Maegan

• Inter Mundos
Re: STREAMING TO WATCH LIST
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2020, 08:27:45 PM »
Okay, max. You convinced me - adding Carnival Row to the watch list!
"I've been practicing social distancing since I was four years old." - Ron Swanson

Offline ChrisB

• 5150 Alumni
  • someday i'll fulfill all this squandered potential
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 11:44:50 PM »
yo party people!

long time no post, anything new happening in the world?

i've been stuck at home so long i actually finished a spec feature i've been working on for the last [censored] years.  now just waiting for my paid Black List reviews to come in this week . . .

in between which (or in lieu of writing), i've been watching:

Rick & Morty -- fucking hilarious

Search Party -- kind of like if Scooby Doo met "Girls" but without the talking dog. four awful Brooklyn hipsters try and locate an old college classmate who has gone missing. except they really fucking suck at solving crimes and keep digging themselves in a deeper hole.

This Much I Know Is True -- Mark Ruffalo is amazing playing twin brothers in blue-collar Connecticut c. 1991. one of whom (Ruffalo) is schizophrenic, causing his twin (Ruffalo) to have to put his own life on hold to constantly pick up the pieces in the wake of the illness. most of the time it's pretty grim stuff but rewards you mightily for sticking with it to the ending.  stone cold Emmy lock for Ruffalo.

The Plot Against America -- David Simon adapts Philip Roth's alt-history of America, in which we sit on the sidelines at the outset of WWII when Charles Lindbergh beats FDR in 1940 on a platform of isolationism and anti-Semitism.  fun fact: not quite so farfetched as when Roth wrote the book 16 years ago

My Brilliant Friend -- season two of the Elena Ferrante adaptation continued to knock it out of the park every episode.  maybe my favorite thing on the air at the moment.  the conflict and contradictions between these two best friends (but also rivals) is endlessly compelling

Dead To Me -- in a similar vein, it felt like season two got bogged down in the aftermath of the big reveal at the end of season one -- more procedurally plotty and less emphasis on the fucked up relationship between Christina Appelgate and Linda Cardelini's oil & water characters.

Da 5 Bloods -- Spike Lee's new joint recasts "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" by way of "Apocalypse Now."  his social commentary through these four black Vietnam vets returning to the country for the first time in 50 years occasionally impedes rather than serving the gold hunt throughline (2 1/2 hours is not a zippy caper runtime) but I absolutely get why he wanted to linger on those moments with these characters.

Emma -- the last movie I actually saw in a theater before everything got locked down, it's a delight.  gives the same kind of modern freshness to Austen's novel that Greta Gerwig did for "Little Women" last year.  also, the set and costume design is insanely over-the-top but in a good way.

hope everyone's staying safe and sane! 

Offline ThatAdamsGirl

• Administrator
    • SeeMaxRun
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 04:06:27 PM »
Nice to see you, Chris.
That Adams Girl
seemaxrun.com

Offline Maegan

• Inter Mundos
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 09:48:39 PM »
Just finished the first season of Dead to Me on Netflix and it’s AMAZING!
"I've been practicing social distancing since I was four years old." - Ron Swanson

Offline Jodi L

• I was told there would be wine.
    • The Jodi Writes
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2020, 10:14:55 AM »
Hmmm. What to watch, what to watch ... Taking notes. I've gotten addicted to the Chicago PD ouevre, and it hits the something-my-hub-and-I-both-like sweet spot. But thanks for the ideas ...
Does this anger make my ass look big?

Offline ThatAdamsGirl

• Administrator
    • SeeMaxRun
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 02:33:56 PM »
The Perry Mason trailer looks really good. I find this annoying. I'm generally annoyed companies keep remaking old series instead of working on new ones. But still. Looks very good. :::grrr:::

https://youtu.be/rNATvJMPZaA
That Adams Girl
seemaxrun.com